twitter




Saturday, October 24, 2009

What must I do if my child wants to live with me and is 15 y/o?

A divorce several years ago and now my daughter wants to live with me. do I have to go to court? Can we just decide to do it and do it?
Answers:
This largely depends on the other parent, if the other parent does not object to the change then you can make an agreement between the two of you. If the other parent objects then yes, you will have to go back to court and get a revised custody order. If you pay child support through the state then you will have to go back to court either way and get the support order revised.
My husband and I have both, one very easy to deal with parent (my ex-husband) and one that forces us to court for every little change (his ex-wife) and I have to say that his son is not as well adjusted to going back and forth for visits as my two boys are. I am sure you have found out that it is much easier on your daughter when you and your ex can be agreeable with one another on parenting issues.
www.custody911.com is a great place to find resources in custody matters and support from others that have been there.
You can decide it out of court on mutual agreement. (it would be nice to get it signed by your ex). However, if the mutual agreement can't be reached, you can go to court if you want.
If your ex is unwilling to allow her to live with you, then yes you will have to go to court. Just make sure your ducks are in order as far as financially stable, good home, and utulizing all visits and never skipping them.
If you feel as though that is in order, then first discuss it with the ex first before discussing with the child for fear of the ex getting wrong thoughts. Make an offer as far as you would never pursue child support because that is normally a big issue as to who the child lives with.
If it does not work, then you have the right to request a court hearing in front of a judge in the chambers with the child there.
What the judge will do is possibly talk to the child privately to see if she was coerced in any way by you and then make a decision.
It's worth a shot...you will never know unless you pursue it.
I would, because I did 12 years ago...my son was 9 months old at the time and now he will be 13 in march. You never know, just try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net